Forum

↓ Register or Login to Post ↓

Wittner Planetary P...

Notifications

Wittner Planetary Pegs (or whatever they're called)  

RSS
fiddleharlot
(@fiddleharlot)

A few years ago I redid my two fiddles with Wittner geared/planetary/whatever they're called pegs.  [NOTE: They're called Wittner Fine Tune pegs now.] Those are the pegs that look like regular fiddle friction pegs but actually have gears so you can tune your fiddle like you would a guitar. They make for faster tunings and alternate tunings.

It was a cold winter and I kept fighting with my friction pegs playing in the park. I said, "I'm too old to have to deal with this." Researched and found the pegs at a mailorder music store. Took them to my luthier to insert ($50) on my good fiddle and to Guitar Center ($25) on my alternate tuning fiddle. 

And never looked back.  I don't miss the extra weight of the fine tuners, nor having to deal with friction pegs.  The reason I'm bringing this up is twice this week I've shown them to people who have been playing for years and never heard of them.

One teacher chided me for not having fine tuners. I said I didn't need them. I explained why. Similar situation with the second person.

So if you haven't heard of them, check them out. They save a lot of aggravation. 

wittner fune tune pegs 600x

Posted : February 5, 2020 10:28 pm
Topic Tags
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

Took a look at these on Fiddlershop. Look like the perfect solution if a fiddle suffers from chronic stuck or slipping pegs.

So far I have not experienced this problem. I know a lot of it has to do with properly made and fitted pegs and weather, especially humidity. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2020 4:10 am
fiddleharlot
(@fiddleharlot)

If you want to do fast alternate tunings they're great. But I keep my other fiddle (I've had since I was a kid) in alternate tuning. Occasionally I've had to retune my regular fiddle when someone calls Black Mountain Rag, which doesn't sound right in regular tuning. Then they really help!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 6, 2020 11:29 am
Share: