Forum

↓ Register or Login to Post ↓

Notifications

My Fiddle  

RSS
Regalo
(@regalo)

I feel very lucky to have a decent fiddle to play.  My granddad played a bit and had 2 fiddles.  My dad gave my uncle his choice, and he took the one in better condition.  My dad gave me the one he ended up with.  I packed it away, in a manner I thought would protect it until I could get it repaired - WRONG!  When I unpacked it, it was in pieces.  To say I was heartbroken is a total understatement.  I also knew how much it would upset my dad to find out the fiddle had been ruined.  Another long story, but the short version is, it has been repaired.  My granddad was a poor man -so I was surprised when the lutier (sp?) said it was actually a pretty nice fiddle.  Hand made in 1906...  I think the one my uncle took was a Sears & Roebuck special 😉  

Posted : June 25, 2019 10:18 pm
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

Love that story. Must be nice to have a fiddle with a family history...must make it extra-special.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 26, 2019 4:41 am
Regalo
(@regalo)

For sure Moonshadows!  There is a longer story about my getting it back from the repair man too.  I'll have to share that sometime.  Definitely a special instrument, in my eyes, at least.  I was very close to my granddad...

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 26, 2019 12:56 pm
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

I'll await your story.

Popcorn Emoji smile
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 27, 2019 5:44 am
Regalo liked
Lew
 Lew
(@lew)
Eminent Member

Nice story.  Hope to see the second part of this story! 

I just traded my last banjo for another fiddle. 

The fiddle that came my way as the result of this trade was built by James Reed in 2011.  James was the son of the fiddler Henry Reed, who Alan Jabbour had so painstakingly recorded in North Carolina in the mid-1960s. 

Alan transcribed Reeds tunes, and taught many of them to, the Hollow Rock String Band - The band members: Alan (on fiddle), Tommy Thompson (on banjo), Tommy's first wife Bobbie (on guitar) and Bertram Levy (on mandolin). 

Having just finished writing a book on Tommy Thompson that focused closely on the old time music community that coalesced around Tommy and Bobbie Thompson's weekly jams at their Randolph Road home, I liked the connectedness of this fiddle that ran from Reed's son to Alan, from Alan to Tommy and the band.  

This fiddle is louder, more balanced, and easier to play than my first upgrade to a 1911 Wilhelm Durer . . . not too long ago. 

Some pics attached.   (Well, maybe . . .)  

Play hard!

Lew

JamesReed O29 hl
JamesReed O29 phd
JamesReed O29 phdbk
JamesReed O29 ft
JamesReed O29 phdside
JamesReed O29 bk

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2019 4:14 pm
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

Nice fiddle, Lew, and it must be nice to have a fiddle like this with it's "history".

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2019 5:05 am
Lew
 Lew
(@lew)
Eminent Member

It is, Jim.  I kind of spread the word to people who played with or knew the Hollow Rock String Band.  Al McCanless - Fiddlin' Al - from North Carolina, who played on one of the first Red Clay Rambler LPS - just popped up and claimed a right to come visit so he could play that fiddle.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 21, 2019 10:04 am
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

Have you ever seen this video? Thought you might like it.

What Makes a Man Become a Fiddle Player?

al macanless

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 22, 2019 4:03 am
wildflower
(@wildflower)
Eminent Member

That is a beautiful fiddle, Lew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2019 4:54 am
Professor Jive
(@professor-jive)

My primary fiddle is one I bought many years ago from fiddler Gerry Milnes in Sutton, WV. It is one of those many German student fiddles from the 1920's that remain in circulation today.  It is scratched up a bit (read a lot) but sounds so sweet to me. The German student fiddles were well made for the most part and though not concert quality they sound great for OT music, in my humble opinion, especially if you just play in jams. My old fiddle (pushing 100 years old) is like an inexpensive bottle of wine. After the first glass it tastes just fine but watch out cause it will get you high. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2019 10:21 am
Share: