Forum

↓ Register or Login to Post ↓

Notifications

Forum Issues  

RSS
Cervus-Venator
(@cervus-venator)

Decided to move over here to keep from hijacking an intro topic.  So I've tried several browsers and I'm having the same issue that started a while back to where i could not see anything new.  I am not sure what happened.  Anyway, I went to the site in Edge and could see my recent posts, but when I logged in I could not see them.  So it leads me to believe it is something other than the browser.  Not sure yet, still looking at it.

Posted : December 1, 2019 11:28 am
Cervus-Venator
(@cervus-venator)

And by the way, I can see this topic and my post fine.  I'll need to check the other items I posted this morning to see if there has been a change.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 11:29 am
Bluetick
(@bluetick)
Eminent Member

I'm having the same problems that you describe, CV, although it is intermittent.  Sometimes Edge works perfectly, sometimes as you described.  This site never works on Firefox for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 11:48 am
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I was reading this about WordPress this morning:

WordPress is the most popular CMS in the world and is used by nearly 75 million websites. According to WordPress, more than 409 million people view more than 23.6 billion pages each month and users produce 69.5 million new posts and 46.8 million new comments every month.

CMS=-Content Management System (for anyone that doesn't know)

I also read that (supposedly) the most stable browser of them all, on both Windows and Mac, is Firefox. Here is a good support article about overcoming browser problems when going to WordPress sites:  BROWSER ISSUES 

Another problem is WP uses a lot of "plugins", one of which is our forum software (wpforo). (In all, I use about a dozen plugins for FFOF. Most sites use more than that, but I am trying to keep the plugins at a minimum to keep conflicts at a minimum.) Plugins are like software additions to the main WordPress software. Some plugins are built by the same folks who built WP, but most are built by 3rd party vendors. Plugins can sometimes cause conflicts with other plugins being used and/or browser rendering.

As far as I can tell, most viewers of FFOF have little or no problems viewing the main parts of the site (blog, practice resources, fiddle tune tabs, etc.). But, the forum is a different story.

WPforo, the forum on this site, is rated as one of the best of all the forum plugins, but it does have it's issues. I did look at other forum plugins, and they all seem to have their pros and cons. I also went to the support forums of some rated the better ones, and the problems seem to mimic those that wpforo have.

Switching to a new forum plugin creates two problems:

1. Will probably meet up with some of the same problems and/or new problems.

2. There is no tool to migrate from wpforo to a new forum plugin, so the present forum would have to be deleted and the new forum would start from scratch.

I will continue to look for better options, but right now I haven't found any.

If I can be of any help, you know you can always contact me. Now, that doesn't mean I'll always have an answer... 🙂 😮

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 12:15 pm
Pops
 Pops
(@pops)
Eminent Member

So far-knock on wood- (as I knock on my head) I haven't noticed any problems. Everything seems to appear well. I usually use Chrome when browsing. Looks like a lot of work trying to keep a website altogether, Jim. I don't think I would have the patience for that. I know I don't have the talent for it, either! LOL

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 12:46 pm
Cervus-Venator
(@cervus-venator)

Well, I logged in through Firefox just now and I'm able to see everything just fine like there is no issue at all.  Crossing my fingers.  Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 11:19 pm
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin
Posted by: @cervus-venator

Well, I logged in through Firefox just now and I'm able to see everything just fine like there is no issue at all.  Crossing my fingers.  Thanks.

Like I said, no rhyme or reason. It seems to come and go. Glad it is working for you, now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2019 5:34 am
wildflower
(@wildflower)
Eminent Member

I seldom have issues on this website, except when there were some outages a month or so back before Jim switched the hosting company.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2019 10:12 am
Bluetick
(@bluetick)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @cervus-venator

Same here.  I logged in through Firefox this morning and everything looked good.  Hopefully the fix will be permanent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2019 12:40 pm
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

Hopefully so!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2019 12:56 pm
Share: