Forum

↓ Register or Login to Post ↓

New Fiddler from Al...

New Fiddler from Alabama  

RSS
Bluetick
(@bluetick)

Howdy y'all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 62 years old, and I've finally found a fiddle teacher who is strong into OT fiddling. So I start my new fiddling adventure in a few weeks with my first lesson.

Back in 1974 when I was 17, I inherited my Great Grandfather's old fiddle. His name was Abel Howell, and he was a fiddling Methodist preacher back in the 1890's. Abel bought this fiddle used when he was a boy, so no one really knows how old it is. The fiddle still has the original metal gear tuners, as I have a picture of him from around 1895 holding the fiddle along with another gentleman with his guitar. The story is that Abel and this other fellow would travel around Alabama on a buckboard wagon, pull into town, and start playing until enough people gathered around. Then he would start preaching, pass the hat, then move on to another town to start all over again.

At the time I inherited the fiddle, the only source of fiddle music of any kind that I had available to me was Charlie Daniels' "Fire On the Mountain" album which had been made very popular with the release of "South's Gonna Do It Again". I taught myself every note of that song, and even came close to his rendition of "Orange Blossom Special". In 1975, the CDB was making a promotional stop at Newsome's Records in Montgomery, and I heard on the radio that he was at Newsome's signing autographs. I grabbed my old fiddle case and headed that way. I was the last one allowed in the door, and when Charlie looked up at the tall skinny kid with the cowboy hat and fiddle case, he immediately took an interest in me. He gave me about a 5 minute lesson on the "shuffle" for Orange Blossom Special, then he and the band invited me to the back room for barbequed chicken and beer. He offered to buy my fiddle, but for sentimental reasons I had to turn down his offer.

I continued my self instruction, trying to unsuccessfully emulate Vassar Clements after hearing him fiddle on the Circle Album. But by about 1982, when our kids were being born, I put the fiddle down and never tried again. I've always been looking for an instructor, and finally one has fallen in my lap.

So at the age of 62, I'm starting all over again. Hopefully, after an almost 40 layoff, I've forgotten all the bad habits I taught myself in my younger years and can make a clean start. Thanks for reading, and I'm looking forward to good info from our fellow fiddlers.

Ne'er had a brother ner a whole pair o' pants

Posted : November 28, 2019 7:55 am
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

Hiya Bluetick!

Welcome aboard, and what a great story, both about your great grandfather and your early experiences. Must be wonderful to own that fiddle with it's history; I certainly can see why you would never sell it. Best of luck with your teacher. Like yours mine is a dyed-in-the-wool OT fiddler, too. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Jim

Jim
"The violin sings but the fiddle dances"

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2019 8:35 am
Cervus-Venator
(@cervus-venator)

Hi ya Blue, fellow Alabama resident here saying welcome. I'm from the Auburn, AL area.  Looking forward to hearing about your lessons.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2019 7:02 pm
wildflower
(@wildflower)
Eminent Member

Hello Bluetick,

Love your story. My name is Norma. I played the violin very briefly as a child, and just picked it up again a few months ago now that the kids are grown and out of the house. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2019 7:52 am
Bluetick
(@bluetick)

Howdy again everybody (Miss Norma, Cervus, and Jim).  Thanks for all the welcomes.  I'm having a little trouble with Firefox behaving correctly, I can get into the forum using MS Edge just fine.

It's good to be here, and very good to find a fiddle forum for those of us who were born last century.  I'm looking forward to learning from y'all, and contributing from time to time.

Cervus, I have kin folk up in Auburn, and I've been an Auburn fan since birth.

War Eagle, y'all,

Ken

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2019 11:27 am
Cervus-Venator
(@cervus-venator)

2019 Iron Bowl is in the books now.  War Eagle!!!!

Blue, for this site I switched over to Chrome.  It works a lot better for me using Chrome although Firefox is still my main browser for almost everything. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2019 11:22 pm
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin
Posted by: @cervus-venator

2019 Iron Bowl is in the books now.  War Eagle!!!!

Blue, for this site I switched over to Chrome.  It works a lot better for me using Chrome although Firefox is still my main browser for almost everything. 

@cervus-venator

When you say "for this site" are you referring to the Forum mainly, or the whole site in general? I find the forum renders somewhat differently in each browser, while the main part of the site (Blog, Practice Resources, Fiddle Tune Tabs, etc.) renders pretty much the same in all browsers. 

Used to be you only had to design a website for a few browsers; now there are many, not to mention tablets and phones. It's a nightmare.

Jim

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 5:22 am
Cervus-Venator
(@cervus-venator)

It has been years now since I've built web pages, most everything I built I hand coded in HTML except for one that I built for a friend in CSS.  Anyway, I've stopped building sites because of that issue you referred to.  Now to your question, the reason I moved over to Chrome for this site is two fold.  First, I could not see my forum posts, although the side bar stated I had made the most recent post on a subject.  This also excluded other's posts made after mine.  The other reason is that at work or on my phone I could see new Blog postings, but they would not show up here at home.  I tried refreshing and thought about deleting cookies, but didn't want that to be the norm in order to see updates so I thought I'd try different browser formats.  The first alternative I tried was Chrome and everything worked fine so I just switched to it for viewing this site.  I should have told you, but looked at it as something on my end rather than an across the board type issue.  Sorry about that. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 10:38 am
Cervus-Venator
(@cervus-venator)

Well, this is odd.  I just responded and it said successful post, but I cannot see it nor anything below Jim's post on 12/1 at 5:22 AM.  This is the same issue I had in Firefox.  There is nothing showing to indicate that there are other posts or pages to advance to. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 10:43 am
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

And, I can see both of your posts you made this morning. Bluetick was having the opposite problem as you. He couldn't see recent posts in Chrome, but could in Edge (I think that was it...). I can see everything in all browsers, but I also have my browsers set to delete data upon closing, so my cache gets cleaned every time I close my browser...I usually use Edge as a rule, unless it is not friendly on a particular website, which happens from time to time...usually when having to fill in data...like a form or checking out on an ecommerce site.

Jim

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 10:56 am
Bluetick
(@bluetick)

My original issue was with Firefox, Jim, not Chrome.  I haven't tried Chrome yet.  So far, I'm just switching over to Edge to view and post to this site.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 11:05 am
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin
Posted by: @bluetick

My original issue was with Firefox, Jim, not Chrome.  I haven't tried Chrome yet.  So far, I'm just switching over to Edge to view and post to this site.

Yeah, wasn't sure. I've asked a few folks the past few days and I'm getting all mixed up what works for whom, not to mention trying to resolve new members not getting confirmation/password emails, but I think that issue may be resolved since Pops got his email this morning. I'm keeping that notice at the top, at least for a while, in case it isn't fully resolved. Getting everything working right for all people in all browsers is getting harder and harder, especially with WordPress and all the plugins it uses. I guess I'll just keep pluggin' away. (Pun intended!)

Jim

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 11:13 am
old cowboy
(@old-cowboy)

good to have you aboard bluetick! I started playing last year at age 75. I have played guitar and harmonica since I was about 14. I play with my little brother. He is very talented. Plays a mean guitar and writes some of his own music. I have always loved fiddle music. Wish I would have started it sooner. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2019 4:33 pm
Bluetick
(@bluetick)

Thanks, old cowboy!  Where are you from?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2019 6:27 pm
Share:

Please Login or Register