↓ Register or Login to Post ↓

Hi, I'm Pops  

RSS
Pops
 Pops
(@pops)
Eminent Member

Hi All,

Newbie here. I call myself Pops because that's what the grand daughters call me. I have two beautiful ones who live in California with their parents. My son is Air Force retired and back in school. Kid couldn't change a spark plug as a teenager, and they had him working on fighter jets in the Air Force. Go figure...

Now, that I am recently retired, I am looking to pick up a few new hobbies other than fishing and gardening, and so me and the wife don't kill each other since we're home together full time, now!

I don't play the fiddle, but I have always wanted to. I was surfing around the internet looking for information last week and I found this website. I've been doing a lot of reading on it and decided to join the forum today.

I am probably going to purchase a fiddle soon. I was thinking of just getting a cheap one from Amazon, but from what I have read on the internet, cheap is not the best way to go. Learned they can be more of a PITA and harder to play than a decent one. I see here on this website Jim talks a lot about Fiddleshop violins, so I am looking at them now. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Looking forward to getting to know you all. I'm sure I'll have much more to say (and ask) once I get my fiddle.

Pops

Posted : December 1, 2019 9:22 am
Bluetick
(@bluetick)
Eminent Member

Howdy, Pops!  Welcome aboard from another new fiddler!  Where are you from?

Ne'er had a brother ner a whole pair o' pants

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 9:28 am
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

Hiya Pops! Welcome to the forum. Nice to have another old folk with us! Likewise, looking forward to getting to know you, too. BTW...I don't think you can beat a Fiddlerman fiddle for the prices. I have two of them (Concert and Artist). Both are beautiful instruments and sound great...well, sound a great as they can with me playing them! 😮

Jim
"The violin sings but the fiddle dances"

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 10:49 am
Cervus-Venator
(@cervus-venator)

Hi Pops, welcome and good choice on deciding to try the Fiddle for a hobby.  My plan is to retire by May 31st and I can't wait. 

I have my first violin that I am getting ready to sell.  Depending on what you are looking at (Price range, style) you may interested in mine.  I was going to list it on eBay.  It is a Cecilio 600 like new and comes with case and bow.  I got it new off of Amazon about a year ago, but have moved on to older vintage/antique fiddles and since I have a second one (vintage fiddle) on the way (and to keep the wife from nagging me about buying too many fiddles) I've decided to sell the original one that I purchased. 

Either way, good look on you hunt for a fiddle and I can't wait to hear about your progress in playing.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 11:03 am
Pops
 Pops
(@pops)
Eminent Member

Well, thank you for the nice welcome! 

Yes, another "old folk"!

I am on the outskirts of a little town about 15 miles outside of Binghamton, NY. I have a nice little plot of land with a pond I built years ago and stocked with bass, bluegills and catfish. That's where I do most of my fishing these days. I grow my vegetables in the nice weather in my garden.

I think I am going with a Fiddlershop fiddle. Just not sure which one yet, but I am going to treat myself to an early Christmas present. I'll let you all know.

CV-Congrats on the upcoming retirement. So far, I am loving it!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 12:41 pm
old cowboy
(@old-cowboy)
Eminent Member

welcome aboard pops. I highly recommend Fiddler Shop violins. I bought a cheap one from amazon to start with and when I saw I might be serious about playing I bought a Fiddle Master from fiddler shop. Great sounding and looking fiddle! I also recommend Fiddlehed fiddle lessons on you tube. Jason is a great teacher and you won't find a better person to deal with. Hope to hear from you soon on your progress!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 6:38 pm
old cowboy
(@old-cowboy)
Eminent Member

@pops

Welcome aboard Pops. I highly recommend Fiddler Shop fiddles. I bought one from them when I saw I was going to be serious about playing. I also recommend Fiddlehed fiddle lessons on you tube. Jason is a great teacher and as fine a person as you will ever meet to deal with. Hope to hear from you soon on your progress!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 6:43 pm
Pops
 Pops
(@pops)
Eminent Member

Hi @old cowboy

Thanks for the welcome. I have it narrowed down to a Fiddlershop Apprentice or Concert fiddle. I also read about Fiddlehed on a couple of Jim's posts. Looks good. I signed up for the free trial.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 9:52 pm
wildflower
(@wildflower)
Eminent Member

Welcome Pops and it's nice to have you with us other oldies. Let us know what violin you decide on. It's exciting.

Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2019 10:13 am
Pops
 Pops
(@pops)
Eminent Member

Well, I bought me a fiddle. I was going to buy the Fiddlershop Apprentice, but then my wife told me to go on and treat myself for Christmas and get the Concert fiddle, so I did. It should arrive next week. I also signed up for the trial with Fiddlehed. I like what I see so far. Might have to get a subscription, not sure if I want to get a teacher right away. I'll let you all know when my fiddle arrives.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2019 12:06 pm
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

Congrats! 🍺  The Concert violin was my first fiddle, too.

Jim

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2019 12:53 pm
old cowboy
(@old-cowboy)
Eminent Member

Aren't wives wonderful!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2019 4:39 pm
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

@old-cowboy

They sure are; except when they aren't. 😆  But, don't tell her I said that! 🙄 

Jim

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2019 4:52 pm
wildflower
(@wildflower)
Eminent Member

I'm so excited for you, Pops. Wait until you open the box and see how beautiful a violin is that close up and personal. I still remember when I got mine.

Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 9, 2019 6:13 am
Pops
 Pops
(@pops)
Eminent Member

Well, my new Concert Fiddle Outfit arrived from the Fiddlershop yesterday, and it's a real beauty. I can't get over how delicate it is in these big old hands. I started scratching on it right away. I also signed up for a month on Fiddlehed.  I'm having fun, even if I can't play anything yet! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 12, 2019 5:24 pm
Rick M liked
Share:

Please Login or Register