Forum

↓ Register or Login to Post ↓

What's Your Weather...

What's Your Weather Today?  

RSS
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

Expecting our first major storm of the season with 5-9 inches of snow/sleet/freezing rain/ice.  I do not like the Winter at all!

weatherbug

Jim
"The violin sings but the fiddle dances"

Posted : December 1, 2019 8:45 am
Bluetick
(@bluetick)

Right now it is unseasonably warm this morning, lower 60's with light rain.  Temps are supposed to drop throughout the day to around 40 tonight.  I'll be deer hunting this afternoon.

Ne'er had a brother ner a whole pair o' pants

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 9:25 am
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

I'd trade our winters for your winters in a heart beat, but your summers are brutal with humidity, aren't they?

Jim

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 10:52 am
Bluetick
(@bluetick)

@moonshadows

Yep, it gets pretty muggy and buggy down here in the spring, summer, and early fall. But I still wouldn't trade our weather for yours, Jim. 🍺

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 11:10 am
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

Yup, here's one we had last year. NOT my favorite activity...

snowblow

Jim

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 11:17 am
Pops
 Pops
(@pops)

We're in the 9-15 inch range up here, and some ice. Looks like indoor activities for the next few days!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2019 12:43 pm
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

😣 As luck would have it, we are expecting 8-12 inches (now) between today and tomorrow, and our snow blower is sitting in the repair shop at the local hardware store. To make it sting even more, they called last night at about 5:30 to tell us it is ready for pick up, but it was too icy on the roads. They open at 8am this morning. I may try to get there.

Jim

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2019 6:35 am
Bluetick
(@bluetick)

It's a bone chilling 43 this morning.  Might get down to freezing tonight.  😜  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2019 7:10 am
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

You may have to break out the Long Johns tonight, Bluetick. 😆 Well, I made it up to the hardware store and picked up the snow blower, so I am good to go. We lost our power about 2 hours ago. I am so glad we have a whole house Generac generator. We got tired of going out to the shed in the dead of winter and trying to get our old portable running, not to mention lugging 5 gallon cans of gas. We installed this 11K generator two years ago. It produces enough power for all our needs during an outage. So easy. Keep the 2 - 100 gallon propane tanks filled, and it comes on automatically when the power goes out. Snowing, but no real significant accumulation yet. Afternoon and evening are when most of it is supposed to come down.

Jim

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2019 9:36 am
wildflower
(@wildflower)
Eminent Member

We have a few inches on the ground up here in Boston, and expecting another 4-9 inches by tomorrow morning. Gusty winds here up to 45 miles per hour. I just finished practicing for the day. Now off to do some cleaning and I think I'll make a hot stew for tonight. Maybe if I have enough time, I'll get in some more practice this afternoon. I'm working on a nice waltz called Amelia's Waltz. It has a real Irish sound to me. I'm doing OK with it, except near the end where it speeds up....well, in this version anyway. Here's Natalie MacMaster playing it on her violin. Keep safe!

Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2019 10:11 am
Bluetick
(@bluetick)
Posted by: @moonshadows

You may have to break out the Long Johns tonight, Bluetick.

Yessir.  Down here we call 'em "long handles".  May have to bring the chickens in tonight as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2019 12:01 pm
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

I had chickens for 3 years. Got rid of them because I got tired of trying to protect them from hawks, raccoons and other predators. I now use the chicken coop I built as a tool shed. I took down their run and made that into a garden. (Their coop and run were very secure, but I used to let them free range on the property, and that's where the predators would get them.)

This was my chicken coop build:

Jim

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2019 3:11 pm
Bluetick
(@bluetick)

We had Barred Rocks for about 4 years before we had to leave Florida to move to Dothan.  Couldn't take them with us so I gave the hens and the coop to a good friend.  Here is a link to my member page at backyardchickens.com showing the birds and the coop we built.  My alias back then was "Hodawg", long story.

My chicken coop in Florida

We plan a slightly bigger and more robust coop when we get our house built up at Buzzard Hill, Alabama.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2019 4:13 pm
MoonShadows
(@moonshadows)
Admin Admin

Barred Rocks are my favorites. We had Delawares, New Hampshire Reds, New Jersey Giants and Wyandottes.

I also was (still am even though I haven't logged in in a while) a member of BackYardChickens. Our coop won one of their quarterly coop awards. The coop was 8 x 10 and the run was 10 x 16.

Nice coop you had in Florida!  And, I think remember your member name! Sounds awful familiar.

I keep thinking I may get 2-3 birds and a smaller coop. (We had 16+ birds.) Love having fresh eggs (and watching these birds), just not feeding my family and neighbors eggs for free at our expense. Feed gets expensive when you have a lot of birds. Right now, I buy fresh eggs from a local for $3 a dozen.

Jim

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2019 5:05 pm
Share:

Please Login or Register